Géraldine’s Profiteroles are fairly simple to make. However, you will have much better luck if you use a baker’s scale to measure the ingredients exactly as listed.
125g (4.4oz) flour
180 ml (≈6oz) water, room temperature
50g (≈2oz) butter
150g eggs ≈ 3 medium-sized eggs
1 Tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
200g (7oz) high quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped
150 ml (5oz) crème fleurette
100 ml (3.5oz) water (or substitute ¼ cup strongly brewed coffee)
Any flavor, although vanilla is the classic
- Preheat the oven to 200° C/ 392° F
- Place water, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring ingredients to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add flour all at once, stirring with a spatula.
- Return mixture to a low heat and work for another 5 minutes until the dough forms a film at the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat and let cool. (You can place mixture outside or on top of a bowl of ice to speed the cooling. NOTE: Mixture will look a bit like mashed potatoes before it cools, and more like an almond paste after it cools.)
- When dough is cool, add the first egg, mix energetically.
- Add the two other eggs one at a time following the same technique. (CAUTION: The dough should not soften too much otherwise it will not rise properly.)
To form the choux:
- put the dough in a pastry bag or a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off, and squeeze the dough into small mounds on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the overn and bake for 25 minutes, or until pasty is puffed, golden, and firm to the touch. (NOTE: Open the oven door after 10 minutes to let out the moisture.)
- Remove from the oven and place choux on cooling racks and allow to cool. (NOTE: if you prefer dryer choux, allow the choux to cool inside the oven.)
Chocolate Sauce Preparation:
- In a saucepan, in a bain-marie (double boiler) over medium-low heat place the chocolate and stir with a whisk until it is just melted.
- Add the crème fleurette and water/or coffee; stir to combine.
- Keep sauce warm in the bain-marie.
- Cut the choux in half.
- Place a scoop of ice cream on the bottom piece and cover with the top piece.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce.
Voilà! Les Profiteroles. Bon appétit…