Geraldine’s Gougères / Savory Puffs
Geraldine’s Gougères are fairly simple to make. However, you will have much better luck if you use a baker’s scale to measure the ingredients exactly as listed.
250 ml (8.5oz) water
125g (4.4oz) butter
pinch of salt
130g (4.6oz) flour
75g (2.6oz) cheese, cut into very small cubes
fresh herbs, chopped (optional)
bacon crumbles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200° C/ 392° F
- In a saucepan, melt the butter with the water and the salt, mixing with a wooden spoon until the butter is just melted.
- When it begins to boil, add the flour all at once and mix well.
- Remove from heat and cool completely. (NOTE: You can place the mixture outside or on top of a bowl of ice to speed the cooling.)
- When cool, add the eggs one-by-one, mixing energetically each time.
- Add the cheese cubes, fresh herbs, bacaon (if using) and mix well.
To form the Gougères
- Put the dough in a pastry bag or a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off, and squeeze the dough into small mounds on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until pasty is puffed, golden, and firm to the touch. (NOTE: Open the oven door after 10 minutes to let out the moisture.)
- Remove from the oven and place choux on cooling racks and allow to cool. (NOTE: if you prefer dryer choux, allow the choux to cool inside the oven.)
Serve as an appetizer or as an accompaniment to soup or salad. Profitez!